The Toolkits were produced by the Creative City Network of Canada in partnership with 2010 Legacies Now and the Department of Canadian Heritage.
Creative City Network of Canada and 2010 Legacies Now have developed three resources to assist local governments, arts, cultural and heritage organizations with the processes of cultural planning and mapping and the development and management of public art programs and projects in a community. The Cultural Mapping, Cultural Planning and Public Art Toolkits include adaptable models, examples, and practical checklists for navigating and charting progress.
These Toolkits were developed as 'how-to guides' to assist local governments, arts, cultural and heritage organizations with the processes of cultural planning and cultural mapping, and the development of public art projects and programs. The Toolkits are available below as PDF documents.
- Publications Order Form [PDF] - 236KBIf you would like to purchase hard copies of the Cultural Mapping and Cultural Planning Toolkits, please complete the publication order form.
- Cultural Planning Toolkit [PDF] - 1001KBThe Cultural Planning Toolkit is a guide for the process of cultural planning in a community. It includes an adaptable model and practical checklists for navigating and charting progress. The Toolkit has been developed to encourage community leaders, planners and local government staff to explore the potential of cultural planning. In particular, we hope to demonstrate how cultural resources can support the delivery of a spectrum of community priorities.
- Cultural Planning Toolkit (French) [PDF] - 2400KB
- Cultural Mapping Toolkit [PDF] - 2229KBThe Cultural Mapping Toolkit has been designed to take you through the entire mapping process, from creating an inventory to drawing up and presenting your map. The process has been broken down into stages and steps. Each step is accompanied by examples, checklists or worksheets to help you get organized. When you have finished, the working documents will serve as a record of the suggestions and solutions you came up with as you went along.
- Cultural Mapping Toolkit (French) [PDF] - 2296KB
- Public Art Toolkit [PDF] - 5290KBThe Public Art Toolkit is intended as a guide when planning a public art program or evaluating an existing one, and contains resources for the management of public art projects. The Public Art Toolkit includes: public art overview; different points of views; details on all phases of completing a public art project/program; links to examples and resources from around the world; detailed case studies and project examples of varying scales; illustrative photos from public art projects; and a compilation of links to key web-based resources. From this valuable resource, communities will gain enhanced knowledge on planning and maintaining public art projects and programs, and will develop better capacity to deliver such projects and programs.
- Public Art Toolkit (French) [PDF] - 5079KB